I decided this weekend to get my third tattoo.
I went into the tattoo parlor and looked through the various pictures. I was looking for something small to put on the top left side of my back. I decided to get a butterfly with hearts. I proceeded to the back where I was greeted by William, my tattoo artist. After explaining what he was going to do, he asked if I had any questions and I said no because I am familiar with the procedure. ( I already have 2)
A few minutes later as he was tattooing me we started talking about dreadlocks since we both have them. Mine are almost to my waist and his were about the same. He asked who does my hair and I explained to him that I maintain my own hair. He complimented me on how good they looked and wanted to know how to twist them since he always had them done in the barber shop.
As I tried to explain the procedure that I use to him, I could see in the mirror that he didn't quite get what I was saying. So I told him, when you finish the tattoo I would show you.
When he finished, I sat him in the chair he used for me and proceeded to show him how I do my hair by twisting a few of his locks. It was quite a sight actually because in the middle of a tattoo parlor I was giving a haircare lesson.
After I finished, he admired his newly twisted locs and thanked me for showing him how to do it. As I was leaving the shop, he gave me back half the money I paid for the tattoo.
You never know where you will be teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Teaching opportunities appear in the least likely places.... we all have skills that may not see signifigant they can benefit others. Half off a tattoo is awesome! I wonder what I can barder when I get my new one....
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! One 2 levels: 1. half of a tattoo and 2. you were able to teach someone something they didn't know before. I always find those teaching moments so rewarding--not the ones where you know you are supposed to teach, but the ones that comes as a surprise and you are able to share your knowledgein an unexpected way.
ReplyDelete