Monday, July 19, 2010

Let Us Not Forget

I had the pleasure of being a volunteer for the Harlem Book Fair this past weekend. There were people, panel discussions, workshops and of course books, books, and more books!



All of this got me to thinking about all the the social media that has helped keep us connected with one another-facebook, twitter to name a few and all the electronic media that is now available. It is no longer necessary to hold a book in ones hand, we can read them from our laptops, book reader, and in some cases our mobile phones.



I have become more tech savy in the last few months than I have been in the last year and while I am proud of that, I must admit being around all those people sharing and connecting on a phyiscal and spiritual level, feeling the positive energy that surrounding the event, holding a book in my hands and being able to leaf through it is a feeling that technolgy cannot replace.



I am all for technology,but I think we have to realize and remember that technolgy cannot and will not replace good old fashioned phyiscal contact and interaction with people and boos.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa,

    I agree and I relate! For example, my husband and I are living in two different states right now ... and talking to him on Skype sure isn't the same as sharing my home with him in the evening! Someone also recently asked me if I wanted a kindle ... and I just feel like I won't ever, can't ever, give up my books. I think I will always need to feel the pages between my fingers, and the weight of a solid hardcover on my lap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa,
    I share your sentiments. There is something special about having a book in your hands that you really enjoyed and can share with others. The electronic availability of books can't be shared the same way, unless the other person has the same access.

    However, as we slowly progress towards a Jetson's (remember the cartoon) type of atmosphere, it will be great to have the knowledge of how to access what is online via Kindle and I!Pad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I think as long as we use the social technology as a way to stay in easier communication with others and not as a replacment it serves as an advantage. There has to be a balance. Just like Facebook, it has been great in that I have reconnected with many old friends which has been nice. Seeing what they are doing and pictures of their children etc. Last night I finally met up with a few of them for the first time in years and all the communication on facebook could not hold a candle to being there with them talking and laughing. No matter what technology we come across, we still need human interaction... and books too!

    ReplyDelete