As I reflect back on the readings from last week, I think the one aspect that stands out most for me is motivation ( or in some cases the lack thereof). I agree with Mr Cross when he indicates that the carrot and stick method not longer works. Motivation has to come from inside ( intrinsic) and is different for everyone. As I read the article, I began to question my own motivational factors for wanting a MA. Is it because I want to appear educated? A better position? Knowledge? More money and prestige? A sense of accomplishement? First in my family with a masters? What?
I have come to realize that as I uncover my motivational factors for learning on a professional and personal level, the level of motivation will determine the amount of effort that is applied to the task at hand; whether its a masters or something I want to do or learn on a personal level.
I am currently taking another course this summer that I find myself struggling with (already, yikes!!) and I am beginning to wonder if my motivation for taking the course in the first place is strong enough or deep to allow me to take the necessary steps to not only complete the course, but to so with a decent grade.
I keep you posted.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Interesting ideas. I think the carrot and stick work for very simple tasks, but you definitely need to have a personal stake in getting your masters. I need to in order to continue being a certified teacher, but like you said, that's not motivation enough to take the necessary steps to do well in a course.
ReplyDeleteI asked myself very similar questions after reading that article, and to be honest, I'm still figuring out my motivations. There is definitely a correlation between learning and motivation, however. If someone doesn't have a stake in the material, it is very unlikely that they are going to learn it. They may retain the information for awhile, but that's not the same, is it...
ReplyDeleteGreat post Vanessa and great thoughts! Motivation is so important ... and as we start considering informal learning spaces, being attentive to learner motivation is key! And, having been with you for two semsesters now, I can say from the other side of the table, there aren't many students who appear more motivated or capable than you! Dig deep! Maybe the motivation is in there, it's just exhausted!
ReplyDelete